Monday, May 10, 2010

Done With The Punches - Now Looking Forward To Becoming A Teenage Mother

Zinhle Ndlangisa

Giving birth to a child is one of the most significant events in a woman’s life. Despite the pain and anxiety many women who view labour and childbirth as an exhilarating and empowering experience.

I now view myself as a woman and a mother rather than a teenage girl. Being pregnant has not always been roses and daisies for me and I’m certain that I’m not the first nor last to say that. But what I can say is that it certainly does take a lot of courage especially when you do not want to put your life on hold. This was obviously an unplanned event and as expected many different emotions were expressed, not only by me but also my partner, my parents, my family and friends. And as you can imagine none of these people made my pregnancy easy for me.

A lot of thoughts have come to me and I had to sit down and ask myself a few questions, make huge decisions and consider all possible consequences. But funny enough during this time all I could think about was the little human growing inside of me. How that one little thought brought great joy to my soul. It was truly amazing and very unbelievable. It was the acknowledgment and acceptance that I took from that day which made everything alright.

This journey is certainly thrilling, overwhelming and incredible. Such an experience cannot be based on theory, assumptions or opinion because one has to feel it to know it.

My little daughter does not know the joy she brings when she moves around inside me as she is stuck in a dilemma trying to decide between soccer and boxing as a future hobby. People don’t know the great things I wish for her - the love, care and protection I have stored in every muscle of my young body.

She’s not even out yet but already I’m protective of her, already hoping to make my huge contribution to the world so that the world could be a much better place for her. No-one knows the fears I have, the need and urge I have to always want to be there whenever she needs me. I don’t want her to ever be alone, she must never get scared or hurt by anything or anyone in this entire world. She has truly changed my mindset and has made me realise that I too am capable of such strong feelings. These are feelings I never thought I would have so early in my life.

I’m approximately seven months pregnant. This is not only the most scariest time due to the fact that I’m new to this, but it’s also a glorious time for me because I am almost there. I have been able to handle all the ‘punches’ thrown at me by her along with great times we shared without ever really meeting. I thank my daughter for giving me the opportunity to do this. I’m truly excited and very much blessed. I’m ready to become her mother, her best friend and provider. Yoh I’m so in love and I thank my Great Lord for such an event. I’m truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment