Monday, May 16, 2011

Lack of Delivery Divides Residents on Voting

Natasha Phiri

Soshanguve residents say they are divided on voting during the upcoming local government elections as they don’t see any improvements in their lives since the fall of apartheid – some of these residents live in a block of flats known as Afghanistan in the township.

Those who stay in Afghanistan complain of filthy conditions they live under and say residents of one floor have to share a toilet – irrespective of the gender. Piles of rubbish can be seen on the way to the flat, situated near the Tshwane University of Technology’s Soshanguve campus.

A resident who refuses to be identified says she has lived in the block of flats for eight years but doesn’t believe any political party can address her concerns. “I have been going to endless ward council meetings but nothing changes .I’m not going to vote for the ANC because they have empty promises and I won’t vote for the DA because I don’t like them.”

Another woman who has been there for the past four years says apart from the filth they have to battle with criminals and fears for the safety of the children who play there.

She says her vote will be based on race as she doesn’t trust a white majority political party. “I am going to vote , I will vote for the ANC , because I’m scared of voting for the white people ,because if I vote for the whites they will come take us out.”

She says her fear of the Democratic Alliance taking over overrides the lack of service delivery under the African National Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment